By Gavin Arucan | Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted to spend a semester or more in Japan, sharing island culture while learning more about Japanese traditions? The University of Hawaiʻi Community Colleges can make that dream a reality with its variety of scholarships for students who want to study abroad in Japan or other foreign countries. These study abroad opportunities range from a quick nine-day program in Japan to a full three-year-long Japanese university experience.

One of the many scholarships offered is the Honda Study Abroad Scholarship, which will grant five community college students the means to study anywhere in the world. The scholarship will award students $2,000 for a 3-credit program; $4,000 for a 6-credit, semester-long program; or $8,000 for a year-long program. To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be enrolled in one of UH’s community colleges, have completed at least one semester at that community college, be a resident of Hawaiʻi, and have at least a 3.5 GPA. Applications are due on March 1 and interviews will be held in April.

The Hakuoh University International Study Tour might be more ideal for students who don’t want to be away from home for long but would still love to study abroad. This study tour offers a 10-day program during the summer to visit Hakuoh University in Tochigi, Japan. Recipients will be able to share the culture of the Hawaiian islands while experiencing the rich culture of Japan. Recipients must also submit a paper about their experiences in Japan once they return to the islands. Applicants must be a UHCC student and Hawaiʻi resident, have at least 12 credits and one completed semester with a 2.5 GPA. The applicant must have also served his or her community through volunteer work during their time in college. Applications are also due on March 1.

The Aichi University Student Exchange program offers $3,000 for a semester or $6,000 for a year of studying at Aichi University in Nagoya, Japan. Recipients will be able to study Japanese culture and language there. Applicants must have already passed Japanese 201 at a UH community college, however.

Similarly, the University of Niigata Prefecture Student Exchange program offers the same grants and language opportunities, except it would be at UNP in Japan.

For those who want to truly immerse themselves in Japanese culture, the Monbukagakusho Scholarship offers a fully subsidized three years in Japan. Being funded by the Japanese government, this scholarship is prestigious and flexible in terms of what the recipient wants to study. The scholarship offers a wide selection of areas to study: from architecture or engineering to fashion or music. While applicants do not need to be fluent in Japanese, they need to have passed Japanese 101, English 100, and Math 100. Applicants are limited to being 17 to 21 years old at the time of application.

Lastly, the Anglo-American University scholarship grants recipients a $3,000 or $6,000 grant to study in Prague, Czech Republic. Recipients will be able to earn their baccalaureate degree while learning in a community full of students from around the globe.

Visit the UHCC’s Study Abroad website here to learn more about each scholarship and to apply.