By Theran Galisa | Staff Writer

Being a college student can be extremely time consuming. What seems like an endless amount of homework and studying can be turned into a planned schedule in which you can get everything you need to do in a day accomplished. Here’s some tips on how to better or create new time management strategies. 

Concentrate on one thing at a time

The feeling of being overwhelmed with multiple subjects is a feeling that all students have come to know. From finding time to do homework, to study, to exercise, and to hang out with friends all while having an actual job. 

Concentrating on one thing at a time can assist in these different parts of student life. Dreading how much homework that was assigned isn’t going to get any of it done. Start by taking the first step of completing the first assignment whether it is opening up your computer or getting out a paper and pencil. Once you do that, start on the first problem of your assignment, then the second, the third, and so on. 

Psychologists have found that even brief mental blocks created by shifting between tasks can cost as much as 40% of someone’s productive time. 

If there are multiple assignments from different classes due on the same day, don’t wait until the day it is due to start. Concentrate on one or two assignments every day rather than having the stress of completing it all on the day it is due.

Get rid of distractions

On average, we pick up our phone 58 times a day. This number may be different for different people, but it is still a shocking statistic for most. 

Phones can be an incredible tool used to connect with friends and family, but it can also lead to an unproductive schedule if not monitored. This distraction inhibits people to focus on tasks that are at hand. 

Here’s some tips on getting rid of these distractions:

  • Log out or delete social media apps during work
  • Physically move your phone out of your view 

  • Put screen limits on apps through the settings on your phone

Goal Setting

According to a recent study, 25% of students enrolled in a 4-year university drop out or do not complete their studies. Common reasons included a lack of clear goals and motivation

Goal setting is a key mentality to have in becoming an excellent time manager.  Having a goal can significantly improve the efficiency of your work and life. Goals can be as simple as waking up at 8am or more challenging such as getting a 4.0 GPA or getting that long-term career that you seek. 

  • Set goals that are both short-term and long-term. 

  • Set goals that motivate you

  • Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself 

  • Physically write your goals down in a place you can see

  • Reward yourself when you meet the goal

A Harvard Business Study found that the 3% of of graduates from their MBA who had written their goals down and had plans to reach that goal, ended up earning ten times as much as the other 97% put together. 

Having time management skills is an efficient way to create an organized work week whether you are a college student or not. Time is the most important part of life to manage properly, and when managed correctly, will lead to a happier life filled with more success.